We’re currently experiencing an energy crisis, with energy prices soaring due to our overreliance on fossil fuels. We need to enable and support the growth and use of renewable energy, as well as preventing new fossil fuel extraction developments. Talk to our experts about energy use, wastage and how to encourage councils to divest from harmful fossil fuel energy and invest in renewables instead.
Jake has worked as a researcher on climate and environmental policy for nearly a decade, and is currently focusing on how public deliberation (including citizens assemblies and juries) can be integrated into climate policymaking in the UK.
He's researched the economics of the environment and how the financial system could be reformed to address the climate crisis. He's also spent time providing research and support to UK Parliamentarians as the manager of the All-Party Parliamentary Climate Change Group.
Talk to Jake about:
- Reforms to democratic structures.
- Climate finance issues.
- UK climate policymaking, including engaging with elected representatives and, how parliament works.
Richard is an experienced engineer of renewable energy technologies with both business and academic experience.
Richard's a professor at the University of Exeter, where he teaches energy systems and technologies. He researches wind and tidal turbine design, heat pump systems, geothermal energy systems and hydrogen for transport applications.
Talk to Richard about:
- Renewable energy systems design and development.
- Turning innovative ideas into real life projects.
Mike leads a team of policy experts and scientists at Friends of the Earth. He has 3 decades of experience working on a range of campaigns. He also led the Big Ideas project, looking at solutions for some of the most challenging global environmental problems.
He currently leads our policy work on a range of environmental issues, spanning energy, climate, and local-level application of environmental solutions.
Talk to Mike about:
- Local data and the Near You project.
- Climate and energy related issues.
Sandra is our resident councils climate action expert at Friends of the Earth. She has over 20 years campaigning experience at Friends of the Earth on a range of issues including pesticides, farming policy, supermarket power, and bees. Her main focus now is on local authority climate policy both what councils should be doing and what national government must do to support councils.
Prior to being a campaigner, Sandra had a background in local government. She works closely with local government organisations and other allies.
Talk to Sandra about:
- What makes a good council Climate Action Plan.
- The national policy and resources we are seeking to support councils to strengthen their action on climate.
- Examples of councils that have already taken successful climate action, and how this could be repeated by another council.